Every May the UK Stroke Association runs an awareness campaign known as Make May Purple, so what better time to improve your knowledge about stroke and what to do if someone near you suffers a stroke.
The Stroke Association developed the FAST campaign, which has been adopted by Public Health UK.
This simple message has equipped people to recognise stroke and to act quickly, giving sufferers the best chance of recovery.
Refresh your knowledge by reading the FAST prompts, below, and watching the latest campaign video. Don’t forget in Spain the emergency number is 112.
Know your stroke risks
Living a healthy lifestyle can reduce your risk of stroke. To reduce your risks:
- Know your blood pressure. If you have high blood pressure you can be at greater risk of stroke
- Find out whether you have atrial fibrillation
- If you smoke you are increasing your risks – stop!
- Get your cholesterol levels checked. If you have high levels of bad cholesterol you may be at greater risk of stroke
- If you are diabetic follow medical recommendations to control your diabetes
- Include exercise in your daily routine
- Reduce salt and bad fats in your diet.